Halloween Pumpkin Pie
Halloween is back! People with scary pumpkins, scary costumes and scary parties will be celebrating this scary night with their friends and family. Children absolutely love it as the trick or treat around their neighbourhood is something I loved to do as a kid.
Last year I shared with you my Halloween Sauce recipe which I had great reviews from all the pasta lovers. This time I will be sharing with you my vegetarian Halloween Pumpkin Pie which I usually do this time of the year but also in winter times as it happens that pumpkins are very healthy and nutritive. In this recipe another ingredient that I use is the long grain rice that is going to be cooked (steamed) directly in the Pie dough as you will see in the recipe method.
The dough I used for this recipe is a simple short-crust pastry. Other dough such as Puff pastry can be used as well. Together with the Halloween Pumpkin Pie you can serve it with a small side salad on the side (especially for lunch) or you can eat it by itself.
Halloween Pumpkin Pie
200g pumpkin, sliced in small pieces
pinch sage, chopped
pinch of nutmeg
1 tbsp parsley chopped
200g long grain rice
180ml vegetable stock
500g short-crust pastry
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Method for Halloween Pumpkin Pie
- Prepare your short-crust pastry (500g flour, 250g butter, water enough to form the dough) leave to rest in the fridge while you prepare the other ingredients.
- On a chopping board slice the pumpkin into thin slices and chop the fresh sage (dry sage can be used), parsley and make sure you have the vegetable stock ready.
- Take out the short-crust pastry and open with a rolling pin to fit in a 10″ pastry pie mould.
- Start essemble the Halloween Pumpkin Pie with adding the uncooked long grain rice in the bottom.
- Then add the vegetable stock and the chopped parsley onto the rice.
- Lay the slices of pumpkin on top of the rice enough to cover the rice and add the nutmeg, chopped sage, extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Brush the sides of the Pie pastry with a beaten egg and then cover/close with another layer of short-crust pastry (seal well).
- Use the rest of the pastry to your liking for the top decoration. Then brush all over the top with the rest of your beaten egg.
- Bake in a hot oven for 35-40 minutes till golden brown.
- Leave to cool a bit on a wire rack before you serve.