Take out your Lampuki (Dolphin Common fish) leftovers this month to turn them in one of Malta’s most desired pies… Lampuki Pie. With many variations being produced since this recipe was invented, I’ve always wanted to recreate this tasty Lampuki Pie.
With the Lampuki fish is season and you pay a cheaper price this month. This will suits everyone needs as even with your leftovers you might have left in your freezer, this will turn to be a Pie feast. In my Lampuki Pie I use my Oregano Short-Crust Pastry, together with mashed up potatoes and spinach. Normally, the traditional Lampuki Pie my grandmother used to prepare is without using any spices and herbs which was still tasty.
In my version of this pie I use both herbs & spices like ginger and oregano that marries well with the white fish. Instead of Lampuki (Dolphin Common fish) you can use cod or paddock. Mostly white fish is recommended for this recipe as oily fish will bring a different taste and texture to your pie. This Lampuki Pie is great to have around for family gatherings or friend gatherings and you can also prepare them into small tin moulds for a snack.
Here’s the recipe for you…
For Oregano Short-Crust Pastry
2 tbsp dried oregano
For the Lampuki Filling
500g lampuki (dolphin common fish) meat leftovers
150g black olives, pitted
3 tomatoes diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 basil leafs, chopped
4/5 medium sized potatoes
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
pinch of nutmeg
1tsp ginger powder
1 egg, beaten
Method for Lampuki Pie
– Start off by preparing your Oregano Short-Crust Pastry.
– In a bowl or in a food processor put the flour, sugar, salt and oregano then add in the butter and incorparate.
– Add a bit of cold water enough to form the dough. (careful to add water little by little)
– Then cover the dough and set in the fridge while you prepare the Lampuki filling.
– In a deep pot containing water, boil the potatoes for the mash. Once they are mashed add the nutmeg, chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper. Then set aside.
– In a saute pan fry the spinach in some olive oil for about 2-3 mins till it wilts and season with ginger, salt and pepper. Transfer the spinach into a bowl.
– Using the same saute pan containing 2 tbsp olive oil, fry the garlic and the lampuki meat leftovers and cook for 2 mins.
– Add the black olives, basil, tomatoes and season with pinch of salt and pepper.
– Take out the Oregano Short-Crust Pastry and open half of it using a rolling pin.
– Lay the base of a 10″ inch pie mould and make sure you cover the sides as well.
– Start assembling the Pie by adding the first layer which is the mashed potatoes.
– Then add the second layer which is the wilted spinach.
– Finally add the Lampuki stuffing on top.
– Cover the Pie with the remaining layer of your Oregano Short-Crust Pastry. Seal all the edges by using the beaten egg.
– Decorate the top of your Lampuki Pie as desired (optional) and finally brush the top with the remaining of the beaten egg.
– Bake in a hot oven and leave to rest for 5 mins before portioning.